Young People and Housing Costs


If you are renting accommodation and are finding it difficult to pay your rent, you may qualify for Housing Benefit (HB England, Scotland and Wales) and (HB Northern Ireland). You must be paying rent under a commercial agreement. You cannot get Housing Benefit if you live with your landlord and they are a close relative, e.g. your parents.

Housing Benefit is means tested so whether you qualify for it will depend on your income and circumstances. You can still claim even if you are working full time. As a young person you will probably find that your Housing Benefit is restricted to the cost of living in accommodation with shared facilities.

There is no minimum age limit to claim Housing Benefit, but you must be able to show you have a legal liability to pay rent, which may be difficult if you are under 16. Remember that if you are a care leaver, you may not qualify for  Housing Benefit at all, even if you would otherwise meet all entitlement rules.

Council Tax

If you are on a low income and liable to pay Council Tax you may be able to claim help with your Council Tax through Council Tax Support. However, if you are aged under 18 you will not be liable for Council Tax.

If you are a full-time student in advanced education, you may not be able to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax support unless you fall within a certain category. There are no rules preventing you from claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax support, if you are in relevant education, or, if you are under 21 and studying on a course below degree level which you started before you were 19.

Projects That Can Help with Young People and Housing Costs

Online Advice

Real Stories