Housing Benefit

North Devon is now a full service area for Universal Credit. This means most people of working age who would like to make a new claim to Housing Benefit will need to claim the housing element of Universal Credit to help with their rent.

However you will still be able to claim Housing Benefit if: 

  • You, or your partner, have reached pensionable age
  • You live in temporary accommodation provided by the Local Authority
  • You live in Supported Accommodation
  • You or your partner are in receipt of, or have been in receipt of in the last calendar month, the Severe Disability Premium in any of your current DWP benefits

 If you are not sure of whether or not you would fall under any of these categories, please phone the Housing Benefit office on 01271 388 877 for advice.

Housing benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income. The amount of housing benefit you get is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in
  • Your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you)

To find out more call The Candar Advice Centre
Ilfracombe 01271 857 131
Barnstaple 01271 371499

Projects That Can Help with Housing Benefit

Online Advice

Real Stories